Search The Homestead

Monday, September 13, 2010

Three Acres and a Cow

I have a milestone birthday coming up in about a month.  In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean much, but I have had it on my mind.  Or, more honestly, I have been daydreaming of fabulous presents.  I love virtual shopping!  And it really takes the pressure off when I am very certain we don't have the money for any fabulous presents.  So no stress, and no disappointment.

Today I was daydreaming about an old-school American dream.  A family cow!

ayrshire cow photo

How great would that be?  What, no answer?  Let me break it down for you:

  • Milk, in abundant supply.  So no more $3.00-$4.00 / gallon weekly drain.
  • Manure (yes, manure).   Properly composted, it is fabulous for the garden.
  • Calves.  Fun to watch grow, great 4H project, etc.
  • Beef, from when the calves are all grown up.
  • Cheese, Butter, Ice Cream, Buttermilk.  Yum, Yum, Yum.
  • Animals bring joy and responsibility in equal parts to your life.  Great for kids to learn and experience both.
Now doesn't that sound like the ultimate in a birthday gift?  Mooo!

 Keeping a Family Cow 

In other news, today I helped a small group of college students plant a vegetable garden.  I have the strangest part-time job!

5 comments:

  1. are y'all zoned for cows?
    prepared for the transmogrification process of "cow" to "beef"?
    cow-tipping teenager countermeasures in place?
    available Sept 25th to comparison shop at the SMC Fair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have no zoning restrictions where we are. It was one of our requirements when we were house-hunting.

    And since it is a daydream, we have all the imaginary requirements we need - barn, fence, anti-teenager repellent.

    Darn-it! We are going to be at Kings Dominion on the 25th. I love the SMC Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very envious, Jen -- that is awesome :D

    Do you guys have chickens yet?

    -Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just out of curiosity, how much does a cow cost?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaron, no livestock, yet. Probably chickens in the spring, and goats in a year. A cow is a distant dream. (I don't think Dale wants one!)

    Michele, I think they cost between $800-$1200! Do you think Dave Ramsey would approve?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! You do not need to have a GMail account to comment - you can use the Name/URL option, or even Anonymous. Either way, I love to hear from you! Thanks!