Search The Homestead

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Project 15 - Woven Quilt

I am very proud of this week's project (well, really it spanned 2 weeks.)  I finally bit the bullet and made my first attempt at quilting!


I followed a very simple pattern, using 1 jelly roll (apparently fabric can be sold in special cuttings that all sound like food!)  I just wove the strips in and out and then sewed up the seams.  It is all machine-quilted - I didn't want to do the handwork.


Unfortunately, that shows at the binding, where the front and back did not line up.  Embarrassing, but I am not about to pull it all out.  Live and learn



Just the same, I had fun and I love it.  Now, the original pattern was for a rug, but I cannot imaging putting that much effort into something and letting it get muddy.  My quilt is not padded and is heavy.  I think it would work will in the middle of our kitchen table, so that is where it is going to live.  Bunnies and all.

4 comments:

  1. I love it, Jen! I have a handy-dandy tool that makes doing the binding so much easier. What fabric line did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michele. I was anxious to see what you thought. It is a Moda fabric (on sale) - Wee Woodland by Keiki.

    I used the binding with a Jelly Roll instructions on the Moda Bake Shop - just got sloppy (tired).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few FQs of that fabric line, and I think it is adorable. Binding is one of hardest parts of the quilt...you did a GREAT job on your first try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Michele. I definitely found that out last night! I am happy with how it turned out - not sure if I will completely catch the quilting bug, but I am not afraid of the basics!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! You do not need to have a GMail account to comment - you can use the Name/URL option, or even Anonymous. Either way, I love to hear from you! Thanks!