Search The Homestead

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Priorities

Common sense, research, and my own experience suggest that the hardest thing about having a family farm or homesteading is getting started.  And I don't think they mean motivation.  Nope, I can say with some certainty that they mean money.  As in what do you pay for first.

When we knew we were moving, we started saving up and had a plan for it all.  Or so we thought.  Thanks to Dave Ramsey, we paid for the entire move in cash.  But the move was a fiasco (don't ask, I still don't want to talk about it), and in the month since we have had lots of unexpected expenses that have eaten away at our homestead nest egg.

Ok, so the point.  I can't decide on what to spend our last little bit of money!

  • We need a tiller.  The soil here is hard-pack red clay and I want a fall garden that needs to get planted in the next few weeks.
  • We want chickens, which means we need a hen house, coop, feed, waterer, etc, etc.  Oh, and chicks, of course.
  • I want milk goats.  Guess what we need for those!  (Fence, goat cabin, goats, etc.)
  • And we want to have an orchard.  Which means we need some trees. 

You get the picture.  And my biggest worry is that we will decide, spend the money, and then get hit by another big, unexpected expense.

I can't decide right now, so I am going to go try my hand at making bagels from scratch.  Someone told me it wouldn't work, so I am stubborn enough to try anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! You do not need to have a GMail account to comment - you can use the Name/URL option, or even Anonymous. Either way, I love to hear from you! Thanks!