Search The Homestead

Friday, February 18, 2011

Awkward

I am feeling socially awkward today.  Or, as you who know me would call it, "normal."

I had a meeting this morning at a private residence on campus, about a garden.  Since I wasn't positive how to get there, I was early.  However, there was not a car in sight, so I waited in mine to see when people arrived.  No one came.  I called the office and was told that people were at the meeting.  I drove around and saw a car, but no people, and no one had gone in the front door.  So, I parked nearby and lurked some more.  Finally, 10 minutes after the meeting was supposed to start, I saw another car and just said, to hell with it, I am going in.  I saw someone disappearing over a hill and followed her, all the while worried about being accused of trespassing.

Turns out the meeting was in the back yard, behind a 6 foot fence, and around some 30 foot tall bushes.  And I was 10 minutes late.  I was angry and embarrassed.  Awkward.

Or normal.

See, this is why I wanted to move to the country - so I could be a hermit and avoid all these strange, peopley gatherings.

But then I get lonely and decide I need to make friends.  Which leads to more awkward.  Although, in my defense (to myself, since I think I am most critical of myself), I have been making inroads meeting people.  I am trying.  And when it gets awkward, I can always run back to my slice of heaven and hide in the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! You do not need to have a GMail account to comment - you can use the Name/URL option, or even Anonymous. Either way, I love to hear from you! Thanks!