Search The Homestead

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Belated Turkey

Today I decided to cook a turkey for dinner.  (Well, I guess I decided 3 days ago, since I had to defrost it.)  I have a surplus of turkey after I got a huge deal at the supermarket and ended up spending a total of $17 on four, large birds.  Yum!

Anyway, since I didn't cook on Thanksgiving, and since my family is so large, we did not have any leftovers!  Ah, the horror!  So today we will have turkey.  With some creative changes to a strandard process.

I like to brine my turkeys, a la Alton Brown.  I usually use our large pressure canner to hold the bird and the brine, but for some reason today I couldn't get the lid off.  No idea why.  Maybe it froze in the shed.  So, I did the next best thing.


I cleaned the kitchen sink and set the bird to brine in there.  Then I covered it with saran wrap to keep the dog hair out.  At least it will be easy to add ice as needed, and to rinse the bird before it goes in the oven!

I am also trying a new method for making stuffing.  Now, I love stuffing.  Love it!  But I want an even easier way to make it - a way that I won't have to constantly tend it in the oven.  So I am trying to cook it in the crock pot.  I used the method described here, on an amazing crock pot blog, but I am using my family's recipe.


It has to taste like Grandma's or it isn't worth it.  Fingers crossed!



(And, yes, Mom, I know this is an abomination.  Just like turkey breast in a crock pot.  Abominably delicious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! You do not need to have a GMail account to comment - you can use the Name/URL option, or even Anonymous. Either way, I love to hear from you! Thanks!